Saturday, October 3, 2015

Transplanting self seeded onions seedlings

August 30, 2015

As the flower blossoms ripen, the seeds form within the flower globe. The seeds look like little black sesame seeds. Onion blossom globes stand high above plant, on the end of long stalk.  Some of these stalks are as tall as 3 feet high. Wind blowing through the garden sway the onion flower globes and scatter the seeds all over the garden.
I started the season pulling out the onion seedlings that seem to sprout in every crevice and discarding them. As the onion bulbs within my planter beds started to swell, I had a change of heart. I decided that I would pull out the errant onion seedlings and "cultivate" these onion seedlings by planting them where I want them. At the same time, I had started collecting the seedheads before the seeds are scattered for next season plants and also to reduce onion "weed" seedlings!

Onion seedlings March 31, 2015


I replanted the onion seedlings into the onion patch in the planters; filling in the gaps between onions plants. The onion seedlings survived the transplanting and thrived, providing me with a excellent crop of onions.
August 3, 2015
August 3, 2015
I companion planted the onions. This bed is filled with peanuts up front, transplanted onions, tomatoes and even a cucumber plant.

This bed is filled with beans up front, transplanted onions, basil and tomatoes and even a cucumber plant.

No comments:

Post a Comment