Thursday, June 25, 2015

Underwater Garden

June 25, 2015

I was so excited to see how the the transplants had grown since I last saw them. Also, a little bit afraid.... Before I left, I had sprinkled the beds with Organic Sluggo to take care of the millions of snails that seem to be everywhere. No matter how many I physically removed, when I turn around there would be more snails- sometimes stuck together...meaning future generations of snails. It seems be no end to these snails.

Apparently, snails was the least of my worries!! As I excitedly, slide open the door to the patio and garden, my jaw dropped. It was an unbelievable sight! I was in shock and shouted for BH. 


Apparently, We were now owners of Underwater Gardens!! A irrigation valve had got stuck and did not shut off. It filled the planters with water, creating an unbelieveable sight. I did not know whether to laugh or to cry. Why, you say? There was something surreal about the Underwater Garden. We could see the sky and palm fronds reflected in the water. Seems to be of another world.





Coincidentally around that time I was asked to judge a gardening contest that involved the planting of edibles in creative containers. I laughed when I saw my lovely Underwater Garden; thinking that if I were not the judge, I could so win the contest!! 
I was concerned whether these waterlogged plants will survive the trauma. I had plants that I had never grown before like Black Currants and Gooseberries. I had no idea how they and the other plants would cope. We had no idea how long the plants had been underwater. Maybe not too long... the snail seem to still be alive, perching on the rosemary plant that was submerged. Hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment