Thursday, May 29, 2014

Bare Root Trees

May 30, 2014

Taking advantage of jet leg to catch up with my blog posting! Even so this week two of vacation....

Recently, in April I purchased a number of bare root fruit trees and shrubs from Starkbros for our Temecula Orchard. Very exciting. I had previously purchased fruit trees from them when I lived in New York. This was my first time purchasing for California and also first time purchasing currants, elderberry, jostaberry and gooseberry plants. I have dreamed about planting these fruit trees for many years. Not that I have seen these trees in person or tasted the fruits. I have just spend so many years reading about them in gardening books, that they have been part of my "dream" orchard. 


For those of you who have never bought bare root trees, I strongly encourage you to. You get a better variety of fruits trees which cannot be found in local nurseries. They are often cheaper than potted trees. The trees undergo less transplanting shock and establish quicker and better. The only caveat is you must plant them as soon as possible after they arrive. If you cannot plant them immediately, you must take them out of the carton and wrapping, keep them moist in the shade until you can do so.


So what is in the tangle mess of rooted sticks you say? 
Black Consort currant, Pink Champagne currant, Red Lake Currant, Jostaberry, Nova and York Elderberries, Hinomaki Red Gooseberry, Invicta Gooseberry, Granny Smith Apple. Dwarf Supreme, Jonagold Apple Dwarf Supreme, Stark Golden Delicious Dwarf Supreme and Shiro Plum Dwarf Supreme. Fourteen "babies" added to orchard!


04/14/14 stems and roots
4/24/14 Black Consort Currants.
Look at all the leaves!!!
Black currant sweets were a favourite of mine and also both my children. I figure I could make something tasty with the fruit. I see pictures of glistening strands of pink currants and desire them although it is not recommended for my planting zone..... I am a bit of a gambler as a gardener. My philosophy is plants are hardier than you think and and and.... I believe in micro climate. Often will gradual introduction to local conditions and creating a micro climate, plants adapt. If not, I would have but "wasted" but a few dollars. I have "wasted" more on disposable magazines and other shopping mistakes!! 
4/24/14 Red Lake Currant

Red Lake Currant is slower in taking off than Black Consort currant. Red Lake Currant is not recommended for this area..... so it is adapting. Will post later pictures which shows it thriving.
Just realize that I do not have picture of the Pink Champagne currant or the other bareroot plants. Will have to post later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment