Friday, May 9, 2014

Blood Orange Harvest

May 8, 2014

It is hard for me not to blog in chronological order!! Everytime I think ablout blogging, I think about events that have passed that I had not blogged.That sentiment however, just makes me lag further and further behind in blogging. I miss sharing the little bits of gardening I have done this spring. So today, I will share photos of this afternoon's Blood Orange harvesting.



The tree is laden with so much fruit. Ripe oranges from last season, ripening fruit from earlier this season and immature fruits. The branches were bending low towards the ground. I got on my knees and went under the canopy of the trees to get a better view of which fruits to harvest to lessen the strain on the tree. View from under the canopy of the tree is glorious and happy!! 


Just one small branch has more than a dozen fruits because I had not gotten round to thinning out the fruits when they were small. You can see the red blush on the skin, the color that differentiate the blood orange from other oranges. Those that have the red blush on them came easily away from the branch when plucked. I had to pluck many oranges without the red blush which I had to cut the stalk. These were also ripe and sweet but not at the peak like the red blush ones. It was necessary to harvest that many fruits to give the remaining fruits a better chance to grow big.


A sizable harvest of Blood Orange. So how big is this glorious Blood Orange tree you ask........
Yea BIG! I know right! A cute little tree that gives and gives delicious Blood Orange to me. Lucky Me!



2 comments:

  1. Wooh, what a harvest! My orange plants have never been so productive as yours...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is because Temecula has really hot summer and mild winters I think. I cannot take credit for this wonderful Orange tree.

      Delete