Saturday, June 7, 2014

Artichokes

June 7, 2014
Artichoke season is almost ending. I though I would share some pictures of how the season progress. Artichokes are bi-annuals plants. However, baby plants easily sprout from the base of a healthy mother plant, making it seem as if the plant never dies. 
The artichoke plant dies down during winter. Ideally, I should have cleared out the dead leaves and old stalk at the end of the season. As you can see, I am a neglectful gardener. Guilt normally overwhelms me each spring when those delectable artichoke buds appear. Sometimes, I only notice the season is passing by when one of those buds opens up to reveal it beautiful floroscent purple center. That always galvanize me to action.
The dead leaves require a sharp tool to cut them as they are pretty fibreous. And, there are lots of them. As I duck under the the leaves, I envisioned insects crawling down from the leaves unto my neck and I vowed once again that will I would clean up the bed at the end of season, so I never have to be under the plants again.
A new artichoke plant has sprouted at the base of older plant that has died down. 
This year, I was also galvanized into action by the aphids that were devouring my precious artichoke buds!!. Apparently, they are just as obsessed with the tender leaves as I am. I had harvested a number of delectable buds and tried desperately to wash the aphids off, rinsing them them in buckets after buckets of water. Alas, in the end I could not be convinced that I had removed all the aphids and threw my precious buds away :( That was what galvanized me to action this season. 
Not a beautiful sight, aphid crusted stalks and artichoke buds. Millions and millions of them!!! 
I had to remove both the dead brown leaves as well as excessive fresh green leaves, to give me a fighting chance against the aphids. Hopefully, now that the bed has been cleared up, I will be able to control the aphid poupulation and be able to enjoy my artichoke the rest of the season.
I will always let some buds open up so that I might enjoy their beauty as well as delicious taste.

2 comments:

  1. The flowers are lovely. Pity aphids love them too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are indeed lovely. I grow my garden organically so I have to deal with aphids and their pals. It gets better when there are other plants for the aphids to feast on. Lol! I don't really think it better but my artichoke will have a chance then and I can feast on them. Steam with herb aioli or stuffed with tomatoes, herbs, breadcrumbs and cheese and baked. Either way Yum.

      Delete