Sunday, March 8, 2015

I am ALIVE!

March 6, 2015

Really??? My last blog post was July 2014!!! Year after year resolutions to blog more has not happen. I was going to post a flurry of mini blog posts as 2014 drew to a close. That did not happen. Even thoughts of just posting pictures with captions did not happen. Then 2015 started and I was going to.... yes....

Renovation to the house is finally done and we will be spending more time in Temecula. I love my beautiful new kitchen, family room and the gorgeous new travertine floor throughout the main house. The kitchen is a dream to cook in, all the more inspiring me to have a bountiful kitchen garden and orchard.

Today, I will post disjointed snippets from my garden in Temecula. I wore a face mask to rip out last season plants. Past seasons spring clean up have subjected me to allergies that do not make me sneeze but instead clog up my ears. All the fluid just fill my years. Hence I look like somebody in a Helix episode combatting a deadly disease!!

A strange cold winter that subjected our Southern California garden with a freak snow storm dealt a blow to a number of my tropical fruit trees. My Jamby Air, Wax Guava Syzygium Samaranengse shows no sign of life. I am heart broken but I will leave the plant in the ground until mid spring to give it a chance. Maybe, it needs to be at a specific temperature for a prolong period to leaf out? I am hoping so.

My precious Rose Apple was badly hit but shows some green leave at base of tree. I am hoping to see some leaf buds on the branches which have the frost bitten brown leaves presently.

The Cherimoya seems to be coming back. It was small sapling so I am kind of surprise it took the cold as well as it did.

The White Sapote seem to have weathered the cold well, sprouting new leaves despite being the only tree that was not covered from the cold!!

What is this? Do I see some green stem on the Bunga Telang vine? This is a big surprise as larger and more robust tropicals succumbed to the cold winter. I do not know if the Bunga Telang will come in full force and provide me with the lovely blue blossoms, but I am excited. If not, I had harvested seeds from last season. The plan was going to plant more Bunga Telang plants this year.

I planted a drumstick plant last year and had my fingers crossed all through winter, waiting for signs of life. Last week I saw leave buds and this week it started leafing out. I am a happy girl!

Exciting things are happening in my garden. We are building a decorative cover structure over my courtyard garden ( sneak peak in picture of White Sapote above) where these tropicals are. We are hoping to create a micro climate that will allow these tree is thrive. Of course, now that the renovation is completed, we will spending more time in this house. Eventually, it will be our main residence. By being here more, we will be able to react more promptly to weather changes and protect the plants better. More about that later.....

No comments:

Post a Comment