Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Poolside Edibles

August 18,2013

The area around our lap pool is landscaped with pebbles. It keeps the weeds down and conserve water. Also, it's low profile does not take away from the gorgeous of the vineyards and mountains which the backdrop to our pool.

We have been toying with ideas of various low plantings but it has been difficult finding edible plants. Finally, I had decided that I would try planting melons and squashes. The plants could spread out over the pebble, be in full sun it needed and the fruits will stay dry on the pebbles. Before I left on vacation I planted a melon and a zucchini plant.
 A 6 inch pot of melon. I move aside the layers of pebbles. Cut an X on the weed block layer below and dig a hole to plant the melon plant.



3 weeks later, when I return from vacation, I am greeted by this rambling plant!


I am so excited to see so many little melons- the Sakata's sweet. The plant seem to be thriving in the hot, hot heat of the stony bed. It is so hot I cannot walk on the pebbles without shoes on!

At another location, I planted the Zucchini Black Beauty in the same manner. It is also from a 6 inch pot.


Last week, I actually took off a little zucchini because I thought it was a failed fruit as it was yellow in color. Today, looking at the plant again, I noticed there were a number of baby zucchini that were yellow in color and a large green ready to pluck zucchini. This is contrary to my experience. Looks like there is always something new to learn in gardening. My intention planting the zucchini plant is more for the zucchini blossoms rather than the fruits. Hopefully the plant will continue to flower so I can harvest and make some dishes with the blossoms.

Update August 29, 2013
It is so simple, it should have struck me as an experienced gardener. Duh! The nursery planted two different species of zucchini in the pot. That's why the zucchini "started off" yellow and  ended up "green". Ha, ha.  For a bit, I thought maybe one of the zucchini plant was getting some kind of mold as it leaves were getting mottled.
 As you can see from the picture above, the two plants have different leaves- one is plain and another mottled i.e. the yellow zucchini.
 Golden zucchini - name unknown
Green "Black Beauty" zucchini

No comments:

Post a Comment