Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Critters a nibbling

It looks like I have not seen the end of the Tomato Horn Caterpillar this season. Many tomato plants were displaying stalks stripped off leaves and browning leaves. The number and size of tomatoes have decline as the ravaged tomato plants battle the stress. I try to remove as many caterpillars I can but they are so well camouflage that invariably miss many caterpillar.









I saw these grenade shaped dropping on the eggplant leaves and knew that a caterpillar was involved. I just did not expect that it would be the same type of caterpillar. It was devastating to discover that the Tomato Horn Caterpillar was feasting not just on the tomato plants but also on my eggplant.



As you can see the caterpillar feasted on the leaves of the Asian eggplant.

While I was searching and removing the Tomato Horn caterpillar, I discovered that my poor eggplant was also victim of another green creature, the grasshopper.



Much as I lament about these pests, as long as I get my fair share of veggies I am too bent out of shape by a little nibbling by these pest. Just let there be the specific vegetable that I plan to cook when I go out to the garden to harvest otherwise.......All is fair you little critters.

No comments:

Post a Comment