Sunday, August 18, 2013

The Mighty Cucurbitis - cucumber and squash

August 7, 2013

Although I have ranted and raved about my Fava beans and my self-seeded tomato patch, I am equally enamored with the cucurbits I planted. I had planted three types of cucumbers, a couple type of squashes and melon. Some I started from seeds and others I purchased as little plants. The problem is while I had initially labeled them using a black Sharpie, the marking had faded. I decided to plant them and wait for the fruits to determine what they are.

Just before I left for vacation, the weather had really heated up and the cucumber vines went wild! They were crawling over other plants and smothering them. I tied up the vines of one plant that was particularly vigorous to lattice sheets I propped up between the planter boxes and the wall,hoping to direct the vines to the lattice. Naturally, I was very excited to come back to see how the cucumbers were doing and what type of cucumbers each of the vines were!
The vines of the cucumber that was tied to the lattice had spilled over the sides and other planter beds. Both cucumber plants was being attacked by aphids but the more vigorous vine had fared better. The other plant had many dried leaves and yellow leaves.




It appears that the vigorous vine was that of the Armenian cucumber. I harvested three delicious giant size Armenian cucumbers. Last years, I had so many Armenian cucumbers I had to make weekly trips to deliver them to my friends.

Now, the fruit of the yellowing cucumber vine was a happy revelation. I had purchased and planted the seeds of the Poona Kheera cucumber in the hopes that it would be the Loh Wong Kwa I used to eat in Malaysia. I love soup made with the Loh Wong Kwa and pork ribs. Loh Wong Kwa translate to old cucumber. Of course, I had tried letting cucumber grow old but it just gets yellow and soft but never became the russet brown of the Loh Wong Kwa. Reading the description of Poona Kheera cucumber in Seedsavers catalog, I was optimistic I had found my cucumber. 
A beautiful russet color cucumber aka Loh Wong Kwa!! Happiness. I look around and found only one russet color cucumber. The Poona Kheera cucumber starts off just like regular cucumber. As it ages, it begins to develop the russet color at the stem end. It gradually colors until it reaches the blossom end and looks like a large russet potato as described in catalogs. To me, it just means SOUP ON!!



The next planter bed had artichoke plants that were dying down for the season plus a squash plant I was waiting for the fruit/squash to identify.

I peered under the large squash leaves to reveal the largest patty squashes I had ever seen! I do not think I read the label fully when I purchased the plant because I certainly was not expecting this family size patty squash. As you can see from the small squash with the dried blossom still attached, it does start out small. Maybe, they were left on the plant too long.

The Patty Squash has a beautiful scallop edge. I hope that it is not too big and seedy. I imagine I will cut it up and sauté with some olive oil and garlic.
A very satisfactory first harvest from a garden neglected for a wonderful summer vacation with friends and family. I love being a gardener!!

2 comments:

  1. On my goodness, that is like a dinner plate-sized pattypan squash. Loh wong kwa soup is nice, especially with gei ji and yuk chok.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just started growing my own Gei Ji so I am looking forward to using them. They taste delicious fresh!! I normally boil Loh Wong Kwa soup with pork ribs and hong cho. I have to try your method with gei ji and yuk chok

    ReplyDelete