Saturday, December 1, 2012

Christmas Jewels


The Pomegranate tree is the star of my Temecula garden this month. The counterpart to the Persimmon tree in my San Diego garden. Like the Persimmon, they are larger fruit than most of their kind. Their size still astound me each year as I go to pluck them. I have to find new ways to use this fruit. My daughter made some pretty delicious chocolate covered pomegranate seeds.





April 2012- beautiful red flowers cover the tree

Even the flowers are larger than most.

The Pomegranate look like Christmas Ornaments on the tree.






The birds have been helping themselves to their share of the loot. They leave the half eaten fruit still hanging on the tree.


The tree is a bit thorny so I have to wear gloves while harvesting the fruits. That is not to say that I did not come away with scratches on the arms and legs! I also wear my sunglasses just in case I get poke in the eye by the branches and thorns.
I fill boxes with harvested fruits to be distributed to friends.





6 comments:

  1. Wow, your pomegranates are huge! They really do look like Christmas ornaments on the tree, such a lovely color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are BEAUTIFUL :) I give many of the fruits away as we can only eat so many of them! Extracting the seeds is messing and time consuming. Always looking for recipe to use them.

      Delete
  2. How do you get them to be so HUGE?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, ha - I inherited the tree from the previous owners. I bought the house and land about 2 years ago. I think it is hot summers that make the fruits so large and juicy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I'd love to have this tree in my garden. Such big and red fruits and seeds like ruby jewels!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll gladly share the fruits with you! They have been particularly sweet and juicy this year. Been incorporating them into baked goods. Conclusion- best way to eat these is still in its natural state, incorporated into salads, or as garnishes for desserts

    ReplyDelete