Sunday, December 9, 2012

Peter Rabbit is not playing nicely........

Each visit to Temecula lately have shown the handiwork of Peter Rabbit- he has NOT been playing nicely.

It started with my beloved Meyer Lemon tree, which was looking particularly bountiful. I was stopped dead in my track.....numerous unripe lemons was scattered on the ground all around the lemon tree. The lower branches were devoid of leaves. I guess I should be thankful that it was the rabbit gnawing at the leaves and branches rather than his co-hout the gopher eating the root of my Meyer Lemon tree. Then my tree would be dead...... That does not lessen the pain of seeing the unripe lemons on the ground and rolled down the slope.







 These lower branches were devoid of leaves and tender stems. Peter and his family had been helping  themselves to my summer staple.
A tray full of unripe lemons that I have to find recipes for.....

This beening the end of fall, we planted citrus tree we purchased in the ground. I am sure Peter was delighted!! One week, we plant the trees and water them. The following we come, and leaf-less trunks stand in their place, with unripe oranges or grapefruit at their base.... or rolled down the slope.

 You can the lemons that have rolled down the slope and the devastation to all the citrus trees on the slope.
 Valencia Orange tree pruned by Peter and his crew

 Navel Orange also given the Peter Rabbit touch....
Tangerine - another victim of Peter's.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, that is really naughty of Peter Rabbit. Such a waste of lovely citrus fruits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart aches to see the ravages done by Pete, the rabbit. All your bountiful harvests gone just like that. Hope he and his family get itchy all over and tummy ache for days...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The life of a gardener is full of joy and heartaches! I think once I live in Temecula full time, I will be able to take care of the animal problems better. That's why I can sympathize with the damage the monkeys are causing in Malaysia. We are encroaching into the animal habitat. Now, that does not mean I will not take steps to carve a bit of land for my garden!!!

      Delete