Saturday, July 6, 2013

Fava Beans

April at Vino way.....

A smile is upon my face as I sit down to write this post. Family and friends alike have commented the dearth of new posts on any of my blogs. Whatever have I been up to, they ask? Life! My family and friends, while it provides the fodder for the blogs also deprived me of time to garden, to create and to blog. Least you think my life has all been drugery, be assured there have been very momentous events. My not so little boy graduated high school and is heading out to college!!

This past weekend I had the pleasure of enjoying the fruits of a self- seeding garden. I had planted some Fava beans. Even as the Fava beans sprouted and begin to take off, tomato plants self seeded from last year plant's began to emerge. I am not sure that variety of tomatoes they are, but they are a welcome addition to the garden!
Fava beans all in rows... Drip irrigation in use.

 Fava plants grow quickly as we get more warm days in a row.
A tomato seedling that was self- seeded from last year crop sprouted between the Fava bean plants that I sowed.
Broccoli Raab seedling self-seeded from last season's crop which was planted in another planter bed!! Wind must have blown the seed over to this bed or I might have carried it over on my person when I clean out the bed.
 Fava beans flowering- White with a splotch of inky black

Broccoli Raab and potatoes self- seeded from last seasons plants fill the front planter box. The second planter box is  filled with Fava beans that I planted together with self- seeded cilantro and tomato plants.

No comments:

Post a Comment