Friday, April 5, 2013

Ugly Larva flies away a Lady!


Baby Ladybugs crawling around in the container

Since I was not going to be in Temecula again until this weekend, I took my container of Ladybug pupas down to San Diego with me. Yesterday, April 4, 2013 - I looked into the container housing the Ladybug larvae and noticed that there were a number of baby Ladybugs crawling around!! I panicked as did not check on them yesterday. The poor babies must be so hungry.  I hoped that they had only recently metamorphosed into baby Ladybugs and were still full from consuming their pupa casing. I noticed a number of them were crawling on the underside of the lid. Six Ladybugs were crawling around happily so I reckon I got to them in time. It has been about 1 week since I collected the pupas for observation, so it is about right. They were not freshly" emerge" as they already look like adult Ladybugs. Newly emerged Ladybugs are more pinkish in color.


I rushed into the garden to look for aphids for them to eat. Found some on some nasturtium leaves. I put the leaves into the container but no takers!! I tried aphids from other plants still the Ladybugs did not show any interest; either they were not hungry or those aphids did not appeal to them. In my research, it said that the mother Ladybug lays the eggs where the larvae will have plenty of food during the larvae stage as well when they metamorphosed into baby Ladybugs. It also said for those introducing Ladybugs to their garden, that the Ladybugs may not always stay in the particular garden even those there are plenty of aphids and other insects. Apparently, these Ladybugs are quite the sophisticated diners. Not all aphids taste the same; possible due to the plants they are feasting on. So the Ladybugs you so lovingly introduce to your garden may just fly away to look for more "flavorful" food.
A Nasturtium leaf loaded with aphids was introduced into the container. Also seen are the empty pupa casing from which the Ladybugs have emerged.
The Ladybug larvae that feasted on the aphids on my Broccoli Raab plant in Temecula, were not happy with the aphids in my San Diego garden.......In the end, I decided that I would let them go in my garden in San Diego so that they can find the food they like. I choose to let them go in the three flowers that are the star of the garden this week.

I let 2 Ladybugs go in the patch of Spanish Lavender...


The beautiful Spanish Lavender



Empty pupa casing on left of stalk and the baby Ladybug on right



I let 1 Ladybug go on the Passionfruit Vine....
The released Ladybug immediately crawled into the beautiful tendrils of the Frederick Passion Fruit flower.
I let 3 Ladybugs go in the Artichoke patch.....


The pride of my spring garden. I will be letting some of the artichoke to open up and "bloom" so that I can enjoy the gorgeous floresent purple color


7 Spotted Ladybugs



The Ladybug crawled happily down the stem of the Artichoke leaf
I was blessed to have experience their metamorphosis although I did not actually see them come out of the pupa. There is always the next time. So friends and family, those ugly crawlies in the gardens do indeed transform into beautiful "Ladies" that grace our gardens. Take care of them.



1 comment:

  1. It is so nice to have these ladies grace your garden. I wish I had them when the aphids attack. Alas, a little too high and windy for any ladybugs on my balcony.

    ReplyDelete