Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Earthworks and ground cover

We took out all the plants that surrond the pool, with the exception of the citrus trees at the edges of pad.  Remember, we are sticking to the motto if you cannot eat it, you cannot grow it! Out went the Phoenix Roebelenni or Pygmy Date  Palms, some Bird of Paradise, a couple of Queen palms.....it was tough to stay focus and get rid of those plants :( The landscapers took away the plants that were removed to be used in other homes, if that helps....

We struggled with what ground cover to install around the pool which seems to beg for cool, green grass lawn. With water being so expensive, we knew it was not the right thing to install. We considered artificial turf but it was extremely expensive and we were not sure how it would stand up to Temecula's scorching summers. Finally we decided to go with small pebbles which we could remove and use in other parts of the property if we did not like how it turned out.

We leveled the whole pad, laid down weed block over the whole area. Experience taught us that weed block laid down at this stage, will dramatically cut down weeding down the road. It allows water to permeate while at the same time prevent the weeds from sprouting.































We chose small pebbles with a slight yellow tinge. A bobcat tractor was used to deliver mounds of the pebbles unto the weed blocked pad. The pebbles were spread out and level over the area manually with a rake.




On the slopes of the hillside, we had to lay down jute fabric to stabilize it. The fabric was held in place by metal pins.



Work was slow going as it had to be done manually. We hired some labor to help us with the back breaking work. It took about a week to complete.

3 comments:

  1. You got a big area in this property, if that is mine that will be full of plants in a little while. However, you don't seem to like them as the whole pool area is now barren and lifeless! I love your pomegranate too in your previous post, however those we have here in the neighborhood are sour. I also want to have one tree in our property.

    [thanks for providing me the link on the sand dollar cacti, i was able to see lots of varieties in google too. Now you are contagious, as i now decided to buy one when i see it, because i love the way if flowers. I even wanted the one with variegations. I will try to look for it in the next garden show]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol! I love plants, flowers and all. If it were totally up to me, I would have a Malaysian jungle on the property but I cannot. There is a restriction on water supply. Temecula gets 12-14 inches of rain A YEAR!! Most of it in winter. We can get that in a week in Malaysia or in Philippine. I have to be ecologically conscious. It would naturally be a desert if not for irrigation. I have to learn to be a different kind of gardener. That's why I love succulents so much. Stones as being used as a mulch. Believe or not, putting in the pool, water and all is actually saving me water. A lawn would have taken more water!!

    Please check out how I am gardening now at current home in San Diego on my other blog http://kumquat-sugarnpixels.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty section of content. I just stumbled upon your weblog and in accession capital to assert that I get actually enjoyed account your blog posts. Anyway I'll be subscribing to your feeds and even I achievement you access consistently rapidly.
    Buy Artificial Grass

    ReplyDelete