Monday, January 28, 2013

Frozen Lemonade

Last year I had a bumper crop of Meyer Lemons and naturally I had great plans for them this year. Alas, it is not to be. Mother nature decided to show me who was the boss.....Cooler temperature prevailed during flower and fruit setting season. Less fruits set on the tree.....Then in late January, a number of severe frost days made me very sympathetic to the orange farmers. It is diffucult to relate how much a hot place like Temecula could also be so cold. High 90s to 110 F degree in the summer!! Right now it is the 80s in the daytime and 40s at night.



Lots lemons were on the ground because of the rain and strong wonds. The lemons on the top of the plant were most affected by the cold and frost. The lemon nearer the center of the plant fared better.
Thankfully some of the lemons were spared. I could not decide whether I should pluck all the lemons or leave them on the tree. There was  no way I could use all the lemons at once. Often, lemons have dried out on my kitchen counter....Finally, I decided to leave it to Mother Nature's mercy.
The affected lemon had puffy white rind on part or whole of them. I removed all the frost damaged lemons. I threw away those that was obviously beyond salvaged and took the remainder into the kitchen with me. I cut them open. In general, the lemons were fragrant and juicy as long as the frost did not pemeate the inside of the fruit. I made a nice cup of hot lemon honey tea with some of them. Most of them I used to clean up my pots and pan and freshen my kitchen. Running them through my garbage disposal gave my house a fresh scent all day.

I think in general, frost bitten lemon are fine to consume. The problem for farmers it is totally unsaleable as it is so ugly with the puffy white rind. Also, the frost affected lemons need to be process for juice as soon as possible as a damage lemon rind is subceptible to mold. 

Frost damage is inevitable should frost condition prevail but I think I should be able to minimize the damage if I lived there instead of being a weekend occupant. I could cover the plant with frost blankets. Maybe next year, my blog will feature a feast of lemon inspired dishes instead of frost damaged lemons.

2 comments:

  1. Poor lemons. At least you could salvage some of them. I can imagine what a lovely lemony scent your kitchen would have by running them through the garbage disposal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lemon just wakes up my mood and the house! As you may have read in my newer post, the lemon tree is already bouncing back and it is flowering again!

    ReplyDelete